CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP
By Cheryl Coleman
Most yummy, creamy, cheesy soups also pack a heavy dose of calories. This particular combination, however, delivers the taste without compromising the diet. It's also a good source of healthy nutrients like Vitamins A and D, as well as potassium and protein. To top it all off, it practically cooks itself in the slow cooker!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large head of Cauliflower, chopped or 2 (10 oz.) bags of frozen florets, thawed
- 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2/3 Cup nonfat half-and-half, warmed
- 3 Cups shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 8 Ounces reduced fat Cream Cheese, cubed
- Optional toppings: Crumbled Bacon, chopped Green Onion, croutons, more cheese, etc.
- Place chopped vegetables, garlic and cauliflower florets in slow cooker. Add broth. Cover and cook on High for 3-4 hours, or Low for 6-8 hours until veggies are tender.
- Carefully pour or ladle contents of slow cooker into a large blender (you may have to do this in two batches), or use an immersion blender to puree the ingredients; blend until creamy and smooth.
- If you used a blender return soup to the slow cooker adjusted to the High heat setting.
- To this, add in the warmed half-and-half, cream cheese and Cheddar cheese.
- Stir until combined and cheeses are melted.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired.
Ladle soup into serving bowls, add desired toppings and enjoy! Serves 6-8.