SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
By Cheryl Coleman
Chicken and dumpling is a cozy "comfort meal," but made the traditional way takes a lot of preparation time. This version is much less labor intensive and utilizes a slow cooker. The dumplings are quickly put together by using a baking mix. You will have a tasty meal on the table with very little kitchen time necessary.
- 2 pounds bone in, skinless Chicken Thighs all visible fat removed
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 can condensed Cream of Chicken Soup with Herbs
- 2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks, sliced
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1 Cup frozen Peas
- 1 (4 oz.) package Idahoan Mashed Potatoes (any flavor)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Cups Baking Mix (like Bisquick)
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- Place chicken stock and soup in slow cooker and mix.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on low.
- Remove chicken pieces and shred meat with two forks. Discard bones and return meat to the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on high.
- Add the peas and potatoes and stir.
- In a large bowl combine the baking mix, herbs and milk and stir to combine. Make about 18 golf ball sized dumplings.
- Drop the dumplings onto the top of the stew, leaving about 1/4 inch between each dumpling.
- Make a double layer of paper towels large enough to cover the top of the slow cooker.
- Cover with the lid and cook until the dumplings have doubled in size, about 25-35 minutes. (The paper towels will prevent condensation from the lid dripping onto the dumplings and making them soggy.)
Serves six to eight.