CREAMY ITALIAN TOMATO SOUP
By Cheryl Coleman
These cold winter days make me gravitate toward body warming dishes like soup. This recipe is one that I've based on something my mom used to make. It's simple ingredients are probably in your pantry already and it takes very little time to put a yummy, tummy warming dish on the table! Pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich and you've created a delightful feast.
- 1/2 Onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian Herbs
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 (14.5 oz.) Cans Italian style diced Tomatoes in juice
- 1 (12 oz.) Can Evaporated Milk
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and herbs and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir and cook for about another 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in broth and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add baking soda and stir.
- Add tomatoes and milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine until heated through.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.