Oven-Fried Zucchini Chips
By Cheryl Coleman
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that people either love, hate, or just do not bother to eat. This recipe will make a convert out of all those skeptics and non-eaters. One word of caution, after trying these you will probably want to make a double batch!
- 1/2 Cup Italian seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 2 Large Egg Whites, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 2 Medium Zucchini, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. (Tip: The wire rack is the secret to getting the chips crisp, because all sides of the seasoned breadcrumb Parmesan coating are exposed to the heat.)
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and garlic salt in a wide, shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and water.
- Dip the zucchini slices into the egg mixture, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Place on the wire wrack and repeat until all of the slices are ready.
- Lightly spray with cooking spray and bake for 8 minutes.